Monday 19 January 2009

Kindness Collage

I've only read one book by psychoanalyst/philosopher Adam Phillips (Darwin's Worms), and it didn't do a whole lot for me. His new one, though, co-written with Barbara Taylor, has a very nice cover indeed: a clever collage of cartoon figures from different eras pulled together digitally in splendid black and white. As yet, I know not the designer...

(Click for a bigger version.)

UPDATE: The infinitely wise John Self explains: "The illustration is by Alice Smith and the design by brackettpress.co.uk. The endpapers are of similar design. It is indeed a beautiful cover, and a beautiful object - matt, dustjacketless hardback, the size of a squarish small paperback - but sadly I couldn't get through the thing at all, even though it's only 120 pages long." Here's the full cover, from Ms Smith's website.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The illustration is by Alice Smith and the design by brackettpress.co.uk. The endpapers are of similar design. It is indeed a beautiful cover, and a beautiful object - matt, dustjacketless hardback, the size of a squarish small paperback - but sadly I couldn't get through the thing at all, even though it's only 120 pages long.

Anonymous said...

Alice Smith's website.

JRSM said...

Thanks, John: the post has been amended to include that info! 'Darwin's Worms' was a struggle, so I'm not totally surprised about this one: I only finished 'Worms' because I was stuck at work during a power cut with nobody to talk to and nothing else to read.

Lucy Fishwife said...

I've also noticed the loveliness of this one - weird really, because it has a kind of Monty Python meets Fornasetti appeal. We sell it most if it's face out on the shelf!